Shirley talks about Shirley
I grew up in Decorah, graduated from Decorah High School, and then earned my BA from University of Iowa in 1988. My husband, Mike Vermace, and I returned to Decorah in 2000 to raise our children (Charlie, Ed, and Ruth Anne) in NE Iowa. The beauty of this region, the opportunities in education and recreation, and the integrity of the people of Northeast Iowa were like a magnet pulling us back home. This is home.
I am an avid hiker (with my dog Chop) on the many trails of Decorah and Winneshiek County. This corner of the Driftless Region is filled with beautiful parks, meandering trout streams and rivers, rich farmland, and tranquil campgrounds enjoyed by residents and visitors alike. I would be honored and humbled to serve you on the Winneshiek County Board of Supervisors and I would greatly appreciate your support and your vote.
My work experience includes:
- Iowa D.O.T. – Aggregate Inspector (this job helped put me through college)
- The University of Iowa Alumni Association – Director of Marketing
- Auburn University – Marketing Consultant
- KDEC/Decorah Broadcasting – Director of Sales and Marketing
- Seed Savers Exchange – Education/Events Coordinator
- Lingonberry Event Venue – Manager
My volunteer experience includes:
- Decorah Cares response effort to Hurricane Katrina
- PTO president for Decorah Community Schools
- Decorah Dog Park
- Decorah Community Meals
- Winneshiek County Habitat for Humanity
- Seamsters Union of Winneshiek County
- currently serving my second elected term on the Decorah Parks and Recreation Commission.